Thursday, December 20, 2018

(1063) Overdue baby

As I prayed for the dyslexic girl in the north, thoughts came.

The first is: was she an overdue baby?

My eldest was overdue eight days. Of course the due date is kind of arbitrary, not cast in stone. Years later, I was talking to my counsellor, who has the gift of knowledge. I happened to comment that my eldest was overdue, the rest of my children were early. She paused for a moment and said gently, he was so comfortable in my womb that he was reluctant to be born. It was when the doctor fixed a date that he would induce that my labour started the night before.

Looking back, my son is the type that is diametrically opposite of Chicken Little. Oh, the sky is falling! When the rest may panic and sweat, he would slowly get his food, his drink and move slowly and deliberately. He does not worry, he does not stress... Yet he does plan, in his slow and sure way. He is just a born optimist. I can hardly see any remnant symptoms of dyslexia or dyscalculia in him. If I select a joyful child, he is the one. Most of the time he is calm, at rest with himself and the rest of the world.

He has chosen to live in a small town, earning pittance as a special education tutor. Somehow, every one of his students is somewhat depressed. I honestly don't know how he survives and be as happy as sand flies. One such child would drain me dry. I would strive to help. He just sits back, relaxes, works steadily with one and then another. His classes could consist of up to six children, each with his or her own set of seemingly unsolvable problems. They trust him implicitly. He works with them instinctively. No such thing as lesson plan and teaching goals with his way. Yet he begets result over the years. It was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment