Thursday, June 30, 2011

(489) Eldest by Christopher Paolini

This is not a review. I read the book and Elva brought back childhood memories. Since memories are flitting, it helps to document it while it lasts.

Elva was mentioned a few times. Eragon and Saphira "blessed" her as a baby. Although everything was done with good intentions, the mistake made in wording shielded as shield turned the blessing into a curse.

When I was young, I must have been an exceptional child. A number of the gifts I was born with which frightened me most are no longer with me. Don't ask me what happened! I don't remember. Somehow I must have switched them off. Looking at my children and my deceased father, I must have had a tape recorder database and a photocopier memory at birth. With no training, I was good at putting things together to draw conclusions that later turned out to be true. Now, with hind sight, I see it as exceptional logical and analytical skills. Everything seemed to work on a sub-conscious level. I have known since very young that I was not like the rest of the children around me. I didn't like it. I thought it was being abnormal. Now I know that it was being super normal. Those were blessings and assets, not curses.

Anyway, when one is handed a lemon, one can make lemonade, right? I am adding sugar now to whatever innate intuition and ability I still have to help my "tribe" -- the group of folks with different learning styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment