Sunday, June 19, 2011

(468) A lesson from rock climbing

I have not climbed any mountains. But I have read many books written by serious climbers. Whether one climbs a rock outcrop or an ice mountain, equipment is necessary. It is important to find a safe spot to fix a point for attachment. Then only can a climber rope oneself and be safe.

While a person is under emotional turmoil, the person is not logical. Should the turmoil lasts long enough to cause the sufferer to tire of struggling, the thought of suicide could be inches away. There is a verse in Psalms 139 (v14) : I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. I can take this verse as the tool of attachment to sustain my life. If God Almighty said that he made me wonderfully, who am I to dispute otherwise? I am a product of God's workmanship, he said it is marvelous. No one should disagree, least of all my enemy Satan.

The attachment is firmly anchored in God's word. It is then up to me to memorise it so that I can access it in time of need. Whenever thoughts of suicide overwhelm, it is time to recite it verbally to refute the enemy's attack. It may help to write the verse on slips of paper and attach them to mirrors in every part of the house. It may be helpful to play spiritual songs that builds us up. All these reminders are like the invisible rope that keeps us from falling into the abyss.

No comments:

Post a Comment