Tuesday, June 28, 2011

(483) A Corner of the Universe by Ann M. Martin

First I will list every book mentioned that was written by Ann.
Bummer Summer 1980
At least four books: The Baby-sitters Club
Leo the Magnificent (picture book)
P.S. Longer Letter Later n Snail Mail No More ( Co-authored with Paula Danziger)
The Doll People n The Meanest Doll in the World (Co-authored with Laura Godwin)
Belle Teal (a Publisher's Weekly Best Book of the Year)
Here Today
A Corner of the Universe (a Newberry Honour Book)
A Dog's Life

In (474) I have written my two cents worth of my response to Here Today. Here I want to state that "A Corner of the Universe" is the most touching book I read in 2011. Considering books that I have borrowed and read that I have nothing to write about, this is probably ranked number one in at least 100.

If you have a special child as a sibling, off spring, niece or nephew, grandchild, ... Please go to Amazon or a Book Swap site to locate "A Corner of the Universe". It will show you a side of a special child or adult that you have never thought about.

I have known that I was one of the "freaks" since age 21. But I was intelligent enough and act well enough to pass off as kind of normal for years. Adam could tell the day of the week for any day we care to name. His parents forbid him to exibit that ability because it was like a circus trick. 

Looking at the way Ann described Adam, he could have been born autistic but did not adjust well and later became a schizophrenic. It did not help that his father was a prosperous lawyer and the mother is the richest woman in town from a long line of a proud family.

What do we measure as valuable in a person? Normality? Intelligence? A good heart? Wealth? Popularity? Fame? Special abilities? An average person who is loving and loyal? Faithfulness? Or are we able to accept and love another just because he or she is created by a God who makes no mistakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment