Sunday, June 19, 2011

(469) Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Many years back, I asked my councilor a question:"Why doesn't God just zap me and heal me physically, spiritually and emotionally?" She answered that healing comes from the Holy Spirit. He is a gentleman. We must pray and request him to come and heal us, that is the verbal invitation. Our God is a God of variety, he may not heal two people by the same method. Some healing is instantaneous, some come step by step and some may come in spurts and starts.

In page 716 of Eragon, we read of him fighting with Durza. The decisive battle rested in the mind, Durza was trying to enter Eragon's mind to probe for the dragon's location. At the same time, Eragon was entering Durza's mind and seeking his weak point. Much earlier, Brom had taught Eragon lessons in this mind probing. I am a person that wants to continue learning for as long as I can. This is the very first book I read that gives me a visual model of why in some or most cases healing cannot be spontaneous or instantaneous.

In my mind, I have erected blocks for years. No one human being can enter the virtual fortress. That, unfortunately, includes the holy spirit; as he is a person. In my prayer, I invited Him to come in and heal me. In the spiritual realm, it has occurred. For the Lord Jesus bought me wholeness by the stripes he suffered at the cross. Sad to say, it took me years to tear down the barriers I have put up since early childhood. And so healing occurred at a pace that I could handle, bit by painful bit, as soon as the dismantling of the barriers happened. For me, it took more than 10 years. Of course it is different for someone else. No two persons are alike, not even identical twins.

Here I want to state that I read Eragon like Enid Blyton's books. Dwarf, elves and fairy exist in children's stories. I purposely ignored the spells and the ancient language. Power comes from two sources: God and the fallen angels. I do  not want to touch that which does not belong to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment