Saturday, June 4, 2011

(448) Endless night -- fate?

by Agatha Christie

We read on page 182: "Every night and every morn," I sang it under my breath," 'Some to misery are born. Every morn and every night some are born to sweet delight.' That's Ellie, Greta. She was born to sweet delight. ... Mum ... knew I was born to endless night. ... And Santonix knew. ..."

Ellie was the rich heiress that was murdered by her husband, who was telling Greta that he was born to suffer whatever he chose to commit himself to. Greta is the original person who wanted Ellie's wealth. She persuaded the young man to lure Ellie into marriage. The plan was to kill her and much later murderer and conspirator would enjoy the wealth in a far away land. It was not to be. Santonix was the architect who built the most luxurious house money could buy.

 Before we were born, every day of our lives was written in a book. Could we escape from what was written? Are we controlled by what was loosely termed "fate"? I chose to think each of us is born with a set of pre-determine inclinations. We often can't choose our circumstances. But we can choose what we do. I can choose contentment instead of greed. I can choose to obey God's call rather than follow personal ambition. I can choose a simple life style rather than an all consuming materialistic life. From the way everyone sees, perhaps you may think I am stupid. But in terms of eternity, it is the only option for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment