Sunday, June 26, 2011

(478) Friendship

Imagine three women: A, B and C. If A likes B, C also likes B, what are the chances that A and C would be friends? In the land of friendship, they may be. But in real life, they usually are not.

I have known Annie for four years. Cathy moved to the area three years ago. I get along with both of them. They met, gone out with each other for a few times. Annie was more up front with me. She felt that if Cathy expected her to listen to problems and asked for advice; then it would be a waste of Annie's time if Cathy did not change. I view things a little differently. It is easier to listen and empathize. What I see as a solution may not be so to Cathy. If I have the time, I would listen and not expect any changes. Only God changes people.

Recently I found that they avoided each other. Finally Cathy explained to me it was Annie's pride that caused her to seek out others to befriend. I suppose I see Annie's pride as a defense mechanism. The only time she was not proud (that I have seen) was also the time she was depressed and suicidal.

There are tens of thousands of people in a city. We have the opportunity to pick and choose our friends. From this incident, I learn the precious lesson that it is easier that my friends from different spheres do not mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment