Sunday, June 26, 2011

(477) Being forgetful/ Upbringing 49

It was a very small thing. One evening I fetched Elizabeth from work. She craved for oily snack and I only agreed to one tiny pack of coconut rice. The seller offered a plastic bag but I refused with a smile. This particular stall wrapped its rice with banana leaf and newspaper.

When we reached home, I passed that precious pack to her and I went on to carry two bagfuls of recyclable junk from the trunk to sort at home. We entered and went to bathe. It was a hot evening and I enjoyed my cold shower. Elizabeth merely turned her body heater down by changing into home clothes. Then we laid the table only to realize our store bought food was left in the car, we did have some food that I cooked before I went to fetch her.

I was puzzled! Now how could I get that forgetful? Then Elizabeth said that the packet of coconut rice represented food and subconsciously we both thought we brought every item of bought dinner home. You probably would not find such a pair of sillies round and about in miles. It is a good thing that both of us know well that we often would act like that. Neither was angry with the other. Should my husband or any of my other children be around, any one of them would instantly realize their dinner was placed at the back seat. Only Elizabeth and I could be that oblivious. We had a good laugh over it!

Should you have a spouse or a child like us, please do not lose your cool. Our brain is merely wired a little differently. We really could not help it. It is ironic that I could remember things for years: anything that I stored for future teaching or writing, anything linked to learning disability ... And Elizabeth is excellent at remembering music, lyrics, singers, bands, composers, and can play hundreds if not thousands of whatever music pieces she likes from memory.

My dad used to get really upset with me over little things like that. He was perfectly normal and could remember all he needed and connect things in whatever way required. For years I felt abnormal and belittled. It was funny that my mum readily admitted that she was not clever like my dad and tolerated all my quirks with graciousness. I was very fortunate that my mum treats me exactly the same as my siblings who do not have my weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment