Thursday, August 30, 2012

(41) UN's yard stick

I have never thought of myself as rich. Neither do I claim to be poor. Yet someone said that by United Nation's standard of measuring: those who own a dwelling, with access to running water and electricity, own at least one computer and a bank account per household are considered to be rich, definitely within the top twenty percent of the world's population.

Therefore by this standard, I am considered to be rich. As I read James 5:1-3: "Go to now, ye rich man, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you. Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth eaten. Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days." I am shocked to think that one day I may have to account for my stewardship of whatever limited resources in my hand. The other day I was challenged in that what was I doing about Africa's poorest of the poor. Really, nothing. I have not traveled to any part of Africa yet. Whatever images of the poor, war ravaged and suffering people I saw on TV remained images only.

Perhaps besides sending usable second hand clothes to Indonesia, Silver City, Thailand, and Philippines, I will have to put aside long sleeve shirts and long pants that come my way to explore the possibilities of them being sent to Somalia. Last year I heard from a nasi lemak (coconut rice) lady that the religious teacher in charged of the Muslim prayer house collect clothing for the needy in Somalia. Until now I have not sent any to them because I could not make up a single bagful of suitable clothing at any one time out of any one consignment. I know that is no excuse as I could put whatever number aside rather than clearing all recyclables within 48 hours. I don't have any spare cash to send to charitable organization. I can't see myself raising fund by hosting dinner. Neither am I ambitious enough to start a new venture. But according to my optimistic husband, each person can usually find something they can do towards a worthy cause if he or she is serious about it. Now, I will just have to put on my thinking cap and observe all that is around me to see if I am uniquely positioned to be able to do something for the poor folks who could not help themselves, especially those in the continent of Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment