Wednesday, August 15, 2012

(24) In from the Cold by Nora Roberts

This is the Ian portion of The MacGregors.

Since my country was under British Colonial rule for some time before we achieved independence, I actually learned British English in school. When I went to further my studies in America, it struck me that Americans really went out of their ways to do things opposite to the British standards. For instance, British drive on the left while Americans drive on the right.

Roberts was able to recreate the type of feelings and passion towards throwing off the imperial rule from the British throne. Perhaps the students I lived with for three years were far removed from the revolutionary war, they personally had nothing against the British. In fact many of my friends who were English majors went London Abroad for one year as exchange students. Now I am another step closer to understanding the historical sentiments early Americans had toward the motherland.

One month last year there was a Nora Roberts film "festival" on Astro - a digital pay network offering TV programs. I caught three of the movies out of probably seven. They were interesting films that were pretty well made. For the past few days I have been having a book marathon reading three MacGregor books from Roberts. Now I can see why her books have been selected to be made into movies. For even a non-romance novel person as I could learn many things hidden in her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment