Sunday, August 12, 2012

(21) One Man's Art by Nora Roberts

This book carries the Grant part of The MacGregors.

Personally I have not met a man who lives all alone in a disused light house. Perhaps the constant need to meet dead lines as a cartoonist might require such an out of the way place. I am glad that I am still writing for fun. Should I need to write 6-8 hours or a certain number of thousands of words daily, I may have to find a quiet place myself.

I was tickled that Roberts captured the opposite qualities of Grant and Gennie so believably! In real life people tend to marry someone totally opposite to themselves in some ways. Take me, for example, my brothers would tell you I was an out and out chatterbox when I was young. I married a relatively quiet man. Interestingly, through the years, I became more quiet but he talks a lot more now. I spent more time watching people and thinking my own thoughts in crowds. On my own I need to reflect and fine tune my feelings. Should I talk, it is to use someone as a sounding board to see if what I was planning to write sounds worthy of being recorded. If I open my mouth and talk non-stop, at the end of the day I will have nothing left to write.

Roberts brought a new element into this story: the death of some one close for both the guy and the girl. Grant lost his father to an assassin fifteen years ago. Gennie was involved in a car accident where she lost her dear sister. I have not considered how such personal losses would affect a person's inclination to courtship or marriage.



No comments:

Post a Comment