Wednesday, October 13, 2010

(159) Mother n daughter/ Upbringing 19

Mother and daughter


At some point I read somewhere that my relationship with my mother would inevitably be reflected in my relationship with my daughter. Since my mum is my best friend and I get along really well with my youngest who is a girl, perhaps we should look outward for a case study.


Fiona was terrified of her mother during her childhood and teenage years. Her husband started courting her young and they faced much opposition as a couple right up to their wedding day. When she really sat down to analyse her own feelings, she realized she actually got into marriage to escape from her domineering mother. It is just as well that her husband really is her Mr Right. She had had a lot of difficulties with her elder girl, starting way before the daughter's teens. Some how they could not see things the same way. Arguments, silences soon escalated to quarrels. Finally Fiona's husband had to step in and moderate things. Of course both parties are in the wrong. On Fiona's part, she expected too much and got disappointed too easily. Fiona's daughter had bad attitudes and did not give her mother any chance to make amends. Things began to improve when the family decided to let the young lady go to college out of her home state. By the time the daughter graduated and started working in the new city, Fiona started visiting her own mother more often. It is amazing to see this: as Fiona lets go of her own daughter and give her independence, Fiona could begin to care for her own mother who was then recently widowed. All in all, both mother-daughter and mother-grand mother relationship improve simultaneously.

* 272571.jpg from www.desicomments.com

No comments:

Post a Comment