Tuesday, October 5, 2010

(146) Trust/ upbringing 10

I approach this topic with fear and trembling. While I am afraid to claim more than I know, it would be cowardly not to share with you the little I have glimpsed.

If you have more than one child, you will probably agree with me that each one is likely to be totally different from another. You have read much about Elizabeth. Chances are you must be a little impressed by now. If you have not read about Kenneth, brace yourself, this piece is about him.

One day Kenneth brought back a visitor from a neighbouring country. He went on a solo trip on the train. And it is amazing that a quiet boy like him could chat up a pretty girl from a different culture. He told her about his personal relationship with his God and the girl has never heard of his God before. In order to take her to our church, he decided at the spur of the moment to take her home. He was definite that she would get along with me and that I would like her.

Now, what makes a girl trust a complete stranger? I have no answer to that question. For whatever reason, this girl decided that my son was trustworthy. She eventually visited our church twice and visited many local sights with my family.

Here I have to state that this girl has been traveling for about three years on her own. She was well able to fend for herself in the six countries she went backpacking through. Although she was young in years, she is matured and wise. She was discerning enough to see something in my son that many others failed to see.

No! sorry to disappoint you, there is no romantic angle. This visitor may be in touch with Elizabeth by Facebook, but she has a boyfriend in her home country.

For months I have been puzzling through how Kenneth could inspire this sort of trust in complete strangers. Lately I heard from a friend how Kenneth could buy food on credit from roadside vendors. Then I realise the foreign visitor episode was not isolated after all.

For one thing, Kenneth is good natured. Another point in his favour is that he is easy going. Thirdly he is sincere, perhaps I should use the word genuine. Maybe he looks transparent and honest. Fourthly he repays promptly and is truly appreciative of people who trusts him. Every one of the roadside vendors nearby knows and likes him as a matter of course. He looks like an amiable, gentle giant. He loves food and children. When he babysits, little boy climbs and crawls all over him. He threatens no children.  Have you heard the saying that little children and dogs are good judge of character? If this saying is true, then my son is deemed a man of good character.

No comments:

Post a Comment