Tuesday, October 26, 2010

(206) Sense of self worth / L. Difficulties 9

In a farming community, growing children are assets to the family enterprise. They work in producing crops and they tend animals before and after school hours. Now, children in the city are consumers. They do not work, as we forbid child labour. Neither are they expected to do any household chore, as mothers and maids do that.


Sad to say, this leads to an identity crisis. Teenagers in particular do not see themselves as productive members in their respective families. Extra time and excess energy may be channeled into harmful activities. I may not be able to cite chapter and verse for this view from any reference text. Since I heard about this from a youth counselor in a workshop I have given it much thought. Generally I found it to be true among friends and neighbours.


After learning about this disadvantage of bringing up children in the city, I try very hard to include my children in all my activities. When I home tutor a special child, I rope in the child that is close in age to learn together with my student. Should that not be possible, I select one who is good in that particular subject to assist me whenever I run out of ways to reach the child. One thing I learn is that children have very original approach. They explain things in the least number of simple words. In other words, whenever I am stuck, they can usually find some easy way to get things across to the target child.


When I plan and write out a curriculum, my children serve as typists and editorial assistants. Should I decide to send out newsletters for fund raising purposes, they fold letters, stuff envelopes,    write addresses, and stick stamps. For those recipients with e-mail address, one child will update the list if necessary and the other will handle electronic mass mailing. When we run holiday camps for orphans or under privilege children in foreign countries, my children function as assistant camp teachers.


Through all these various projects, they acquire new skills, find out their strengths and learn to see themselves as useful contributors to economic, social and spiritual enterprises. 



* coral-cavernous-star from beadsbymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment