Tuesday, October 5, 2010

(148) Object Lessons/Upbringing 11

When Crystal was three years old, we rented a brand new house near Kingston. Her desire to attend school was so great that she herself convinced the Principal to admit her three months ahead of the new school year. The very next day, she hopped up the school transport, waving good bye to me. So every morning, I sat under the car porch and we waited for her van. I must have used every available moment to teach her a little something about what caught her attention daily. Later the grandma next door mentioned that she used to sit at her swing and listened to my stories tailored on the spot to give object lessons.


Soon Crystal made friend with our neighbour's young daughter. Both would cycle in each driveway and talked across the fence. Our neighbour asked if I would give her daughter language lessons. At that point I was not keen to tie up my weekends. Therefore I suggested for the child to come over to play, bring her homework if she needed help. She did that for a short period of time.


All that time Crystal had sensitive nose and started wheezing at night. When the paediatrician diagnosed it as allergy to cement dust, we had little choice but to move away from the area. Circumstances ended that budding friendship between the children.

* food title.jpg from tiki.oneworld.net

No comments:

Post a Comment