Tuesday, October 26, 2010

(204)Inability to associate object with function/ LD 7


Learning Disability

One night, I was teaching my youngest child and her friend how to write compositions for the Final Exam. Instead of deleting unwanted sentences, both of them were taught to erase the pencil written words. The eraser changed hand repeatedly. One eraser fell and rolled away. Another was dropped into my small basket of odds and ends.


Christine, my youngest, was neat and meticulous. Her friend, Vivien, was untidy and easy going. As Christine was reading her concluding paragraph, I was listening with half an ear. My eyes were on Vivien. I saw her pick up something from my basket. Then she was rubbing away and making a funny squeaky sound. Before she could complain the eraser was not working, I already stepped over and grabbed the object. It was part of a key chain, it said "I love Hawaii". All of us had a good laugh! How could a hard piece of plastic function as an eraser!


The next time I met Vivien's mum, I told her the above episode. She was not surprise. According to her, Vivien would mistake a rusted old blade for a piece of wood. None of her other siblings who were younger than her have this problem.


Relating all these information to another mum who is a medical Doctor, Dr. Lee promptly answered that it is a learning disability.

* sea-animals 4260.jpg from hickerphoto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment