Thursday, October 7, 2010

(150)Courage vs Fear/ upbringing 13




Many years ago, I was house sitting in USA for a dear friend. It was a ranch-style mansion set in a two acre plot of land at the top of a canyon.

My job was simple:
1. feed the cat
2. turn on the sprinkler for half an hour morning and evening
3. feed the wild does and fawns
4. let the Mexican maid in

There were no metal grills on windows nor sliding doors. Yet it was such a peaceful setting in a small town that I was not fearful throughout the two week stint.

In spite of my courage, I explained to a young girl in my hometown that now I dare not visit rest rooms on the upper floors of a certain shopping mall. No! I did not turn yellow in the interim years of marriage and child rearing.

I have seen gangsters, drug addicts, and pimps in that particular shopping mall within the vicinity of two famous high schools. I’ve never felt safe wandering around that place. No wonder the young girl’s mum and I both forbid our daughters to loiter or wander in that particular building.


* pink flower-3231.gif fromgraphicshunt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment