Saturday, October 2, 2010

(143) Hugh income gap/ love is blind 4

I had a sleepover in my friend's place. My friend, Abbie, rented a room from Belinda. Initially, Belinda took a house and lived in it with her mum. Then Abbie took one of the back bedrooms. Subsequently, another girl moved into the other back bedroom. Last of all Ben, a pizza delivery guy moved into the downstairs room.

A year later, Belinda married Ben. Belinda's mum exchanged living space with Ben. At first it was peaceful co-existence. Then Belinda was expecting a baby. I began to sense tension in the house whenever I visited. Since Belinda is an accountant, I guessed the problem would probably be finance. And so it was.

Close to mid night, a quarrel broke out! Things were thrown, there were shouts and loud swearing. Indeed it was like all hell broke loose! Then the front door banged. Since we had nothing to do with the fighting parties, Abbie and I just went back to our interrupted sleep.


Much later I heard that Belinda's mum had a show down with Belinda's husband. With all the increase in expenses due to the imminent arrival of the baby, Belinda was really stressed up. Ben held onto all his hard earned money and refused to part with it.  After the confrontation, Belinda named a figure and Ben countered with something closer to what he could afford. Peace was restored.

It is interesting that a college educated Accountant could be happy with someone who did not even finish his high school diploma. Most weekends they spent watching TV. Belinda drives a good car. Ben rides an old motorbike. Belinda goes to work in branded clothes. Ben goes to work in his uniform.

Shortly after this incident, Abbie married her sweet heart and moved out. And I lost touch with her chief tenant, Belinda. All I knew was Belinda gave birth to a son. I often wonder where they are now ... Are they happy together? Could their love for each other withstand the test of time and a vast income barrier? An experienced accountant earns a five figure income while a pizza delivery man is lucky to get a four figure pay at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment