Tuesday, March 27, 2012

(845) Anne's House of Dreams by L.M.Montgomery

This is the book I like least in the series. It was heart breaking to have the much awaited baby dying soon after birth. I suppose life is often like that, it strikes out at one when she least expects it. But I like how Montgomery wove together Leslie Moore, Owen Ford, and Captain Jim.

When Cornelia sent Owen as a boarder to Leslie, she was just being helpful as Leslie needed money to repair her house. Owen found the material for his great Canadian novel in Captain Jim's Life-book. Captain Jim could read through the newly published book, breathed his last and went out with the tide at dawn's first light just like he wished for. What a way to go! Leslie was being selfless in taking the idiot whom she thought was her husband to Montreal for treatment. As the idiot regained his faculties, they realized he was her deceased husband's cousin. She was then free from a disastrous marriage. Leslie and Owen made a lovely couple. Much, much later, Kenneth Ford married Anne's youngest daughter, Rilla.

In modern life, for folks like me who live in a metropolis of a few million people, what is the chance of any one of my children marrying a child of a couple I know? Practically, the answer is almost zero. I suppose that is why reading an old fashion book like this is immensely satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment