Thursday, March 22, 2012

(838) Stories I told my nephew 2

The second time I chauffeured my nephew to work, I asked him about his preference on the location of his future house.

You see, the house opposite my brother's is up for sale. My brother is due to take out his EPF (employee provident fund) soon. A few days ago my mother happily suggested that my brother considered buying it up, let it out for the time being until my nephew gets married. However, my sister-in-law responded very off hand that probably he wouldn't want to live in such an old neighborhood. Being a quiet person, my nephew listened to all that without saying anything.

I pointed out to him that should he decide to live in this city, his wife would probably have to work full time for her entire adult life unless she is moneyed or my nephew strikes it rich. By the time they have children, if they choose to have children, it will be very convenient to have one set of grandparents nearby. In the event that he chooses to live in another part of the country, a property in this neighborhood would never go below the price he pays. For the past twenty five years, houses in good areas in this city have the highest rates of growth. He could easily sell it off to build his dream house in another town.

After a few moments of thinking, he expressed that he did not think so far. The area they are living in is peaceful and safe. Perhaps that house opposite is rather run down, but he would not object to another in the vicinity. He did recall that during my father's last illness, my brother drove, he and I had our hands full in helping the old man to walk to the clinic toilet. He could appreciate the fact that I chose to live near my parents. After this conversation, I reported all details to my mother. She will judge when will be a good time to relate to my sister-in-law. Within these six months before my nephew is confirmed at his job, they would have ample time to look for a suitable property. With the expected rental value, he would have to set aside the difference(between rental and installment payment) to help pay for his house. That will be good discipline in learning not to live a high life on his pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment