Saturday, March 3, 2012

(823) The Gift by Cecelia Ahern

It is an out of this world tale! I have to say this about Ahern, she has extremely original ideas. Before I came across any of her books, I have watched the second half of the movie P.S.I love you. When Elizabeth borrowed the book P.S. I love you, it seemed hauntingly familiar.

Then my niece bought If You Can See Me Now. I heard about imaginary friends from fellow mothers as my children were growing up. Ahern developed the idea to the level of fine arts. I suppose a quiet and lonely child could easily imagine and create a friend he or she dreams about. In Ahern's imaginary world, unseen persons are assigned  to at risk children and sometimes adults to help them. It is a wonderful idea!

Next I have access to A Place Called Here. What a neat idea! I can almost see this place with my missing belongings. The part about missing people is not quite so much fun.

More than the above best sellers, I particularly like Thanks for The Memories. I know it is rather weak premise: donated blood does not actually last long in the receiver's body. But what the heck! I love the story.

In The Gift, it is the magic again that distinguishes it from other books. Who actually is Gabe? Is he an angel? For all the things he is capable of doing, he definitely is not a mortal. Lou lives dangerously, sooner rather than later he would die prematurely. I certainly hope that such a person has his insurance and will all up to date for his family's sake. Whoever Gabe is, he has kindly enabled Lou to reconcile himself with every one of his loved ones before he departed. If there is a connection that links each of the Ahern stories, it is the thoughtful caring kindness that run through all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment