Wednesday, March 14, 2012

(830) A Dream

There is a retired missionary with a dream: setting up a non-profit Christian hang out place for college students offering Christian as well as other healthy literature and snacks. There is currently no bookshops, no public library nor any second hand book store in that college town.

This missionary happens to have an ex-employer who is rich and influential. More important than that, this rich man has children who are committed Christians. These children who are bosses in their own right have decided to help in providing a rent free venue for this Christian center. Besides herself, the missionary has found two women willing to help run this venture.

Now I must confess that a few years back I saw the need for such a place even in my own neighborhood. There are two schools right on my street. But I have prayed about it and realized that it was not my call. Since we have gone to look at possible venues up in that college town, I have examined my own heart. First of all, I yearn to move back out of the metropolitan area. It would be nice to live in a small town with no traffic jams. Secondly, I have spent much of my free time dealing with books and libraries as soon as my children started reading. They have grown into book loving adults. If God is willing, I will be able to help select donated books, purchase second hand books to build up just such a library my missionary friend is visualizing. But dreams are dreams until the economics are worked out. Therefore I put out a fleece to see if I am the one that should take up this challenge.

Within the next nine months, should what I have been praying for come to pass, then I will gladly move from my current place to that college town. If and when that happens, some of my friends who have not met my Lord will continue to wonder why I do not work for financial security even as I approach retirement age. To that I have a rather trite answer: Seek ye first His kingdom and righteousness, and the rest will be added unto you.

Continued in (993)

No comments:

Post a Comment