Wednesday, March 14, 2012

(827) Sniper One by Sgt. Dan Mills

This book is written by a career soldier(U.K.) who was excited to be sent to Iraq as he was itching to be in the midst of real action.

It was written in soldier speak with lots of four letter words. In a way it seemed fitting as these folks dealt with heavy weapons that could cost limbs and lives any second of the day or night. Of course I am old enough not to be influenced by the vocabulary of any book I read. Since my youngest child reached twenty one, I have been a lot easier with any books with racy language lying around my house.

Mills is a very straight forward writer who wrote things as they were. Through his eyes I see Iraq and its people. Not a pretty sight! But one sees how human endurance could enable the population to survive in the worst possible circumstances.

Although I don't pretend to understand international politics. I do see that soldiers were paid by their Governments to serve as peace-keeping force in a foreign land. It was quite an experience reading what the ordinary citizens had to endure (the actions dealt by the extremist cloaked in religious uprising). Even things are not perfect in my country, I do appreciate the peace we have in this land.

No comments:

Post a Comment