Thursday, March 1, 2012

(813) Catching up

I just came back from meeting my husband's uni housemate and family. I remember meeting them once, more than 20 years ago. My husband reminded me that we actually "bumped" into them when we visited Melbourne, Australia.

As we caught up on the intervening years, we noticed that there are a lot of similarities in our experience. We have children who are born in the same period. The two men have been made redundant and have to reinvent themselves into service providers and be self-employed. The wives both talked about the rise of living standards and learned to live simply on less income in real terms. Yet all of us testify on God's goodness and how he enabled us to have enough from year to year.

Even though we have been living in different countries for at least 23 years, each of us have been learning the same lessons in deepening our faith. I was sharing with them how 26 years ago I actually was holding the forms to immigrate but decided not to apply after some prayers. Now I am thankful that I am living in a country where I can survive on relatively cheap take out food. Had I left, I would definitely have to cook every meal at home. With all my children living away now, I hardly have to cook. For the first time after my marriage, I need not spend time cooking two meals a day. Seeing the good response my book "reviews" receive,  that would not have been possible otherwise.

Change is the one thing all of us have to expect. I rejoice that my future is in my God's hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment