Monday, June 10, 2019

(1123) The Broker by John Grisham

Here is another one of Grisham's go to another country and disappear story. I have a soft spot for his tales.

This time it is a power broker who spent years in prison. At the end of the President's (who failed to be re-elected) first term, CIA wanted a pardon for a guy with sensitive information in his head, he was pardoned, sent to another country, assisted to assimilate and the establishment wanted him killed. The object is to see who came out to kill so they would know who bought the software. By now, there was a trail of dead bodies.

Miraculously, the fugitive survived and returned to USA. Circumstances changed and he was given a reprieve by fate. He still needed to run, he still needed to melt into the background, but by then he had the necessary skills to survive longer.  

Six years ago, I flew to northern Borneo because of a cryptic prophesy in 1984 and a sense of adventure. Next month I am returning to the same town because I want a new life. Unlike the power broker, I committed no crime. I just want to blend into a small town and be a nobody. I want to be free to live and write, in a simple and humble manner, and earn a living without owing a debt of any kind to anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment