Friday, June 7, 2019

(1112) Sun at Midnight by Rosie Thomas

I believe my brother has been to all the continents except the Antarctica. I will never be able to travel as much as my brother as child rearing took me many years, on top of that I heeded the biological clock.

This is a beautifully written book that almost equals to watching an artistically made documentary of the ice world. Alice did not even realize she was pregnant when she decided and then rushed to make all the preparation needed to work in the silent and cold continent for months.

She reminded me of my ex-neighbour who kept her baby boy in spite of the threat of divorce from her then husband. Thirty years later, she has a loving son and a loyal daughter-in-law in Singapore who visit her a few times a year and they remit money to her. Her ex made himself another family with a Thai lady who fitted into his scheme of things and his own time table. When we think of the exchange rate of Sing dollars versus M dollars, it is significant.

Contrast that with my clay pot yee mee lady who aborted her child because her then husband thought she was too young. He married her at sixteen but he thought she should wait a few years to have her first child. Until today she remained childless as the abortion rendered her infertile for life. He divorced her anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment