Tuesday, June 4, 2019

(1102) Mercy by Jodi Picoult

Mercy Killing is still illegal in most countries. I guess if the law allows someone to kill another because the second is sick, all sorts of scenario might pop up. It is far safer to keep the Pandora box tightly closed.

While Jodi did a good job bringing the reader through the killing up to the acquittal, I actually found the marital discord between Cam, the police chief, and Allie much more compelling. It is interesting that Mia finally lit off. And the book did not end with a divorce and each partner starting over.

In real life, I think I saw my old friend's husband on a date with a young associate in a kind of pizza joint in a shopping centre far off the bitten track. No, I did not confront him. I stayed in my corner, ate my meal and walked off quietly while he had eyes only for her, she was a good twenty five years younger than him. I told my husband that I was not sure it was him. Until today I did not say a word to his wife.

He was a millionaire many times over. She had her own inherited wealth. I know she loved him much more than he felt for her. Even though she declared in public that she wanted to know the facts if her husband two timed her and that she would divorce him, I honestly doubt if she would. So it is really better that she does not know.

One man, Jamie, might love his Maggie enough to spare her a long, painful death. He was willing to risk going to prison for ten years or so. Allie probably loved Cam enough to forgive him as long as Mia no longer complicated the situation. The ending pointed to Allie taking Cam back in time to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment