Thursday, June 6, 2019

(1104) The Husband by Dean Koontz

I am like in the Aladdin's cave, choosing one gem from lots of jewels. I am either scanning or speed reading to put up as many blogs as 8 days allow. After blogging for many years, I realized that it was the book reviews that brought me new readers that decided to stay with me. Thanks to my children who set up page counters, flag counters and other widgets. As folks follow my blog, I roughly know how many unique readers that have visited this blog from which country. At this point, India is the country that is going to overtake Malaysia in both the page count as well as the number of unique readers. I am excited!

I enjoyed reading Koontz's book. To be honest, I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I were to read it leisurely at home. But well, I am thankful for this opportunity to read, write and not have to housekeep. As an author, I look at his plot and am amazed at how he twisted things from one page to the next. Maybe there is a need for a convoluted mind to write suspense stories. I simply do not have that. And therefore I would not attempt to write one.

How many husbands would risk his life to save his wife? Not many, I guess. I suppose I am extremely fortunate that when I was near death, my husband fasted many days for my recovery. When my weight was near the absolute minimum, it would have been very easy to stop eating, take the drugs prescribed and sleep away to eternity. Yet at that crunch point, I chose to eat five meals a day and fought. A year later, when I sensed alienation in general for my first published work in paper; I realized why I would rather store the manuscript for 36 years through 11 moves than risk publication. Blogging is a very safe medium. Nobody pays a cent to read my work, therefore no one cares to say much one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment