Saturday, June 8, 2019

(1113) The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Here is another gem I found in my hostess' book shelves.

While laughing at some of the happenings in the book, I felt sad at other minor events. I have heard of the Canary Islands and even at one point in time might be able to quote the Capital. I have never heard of Guernsey before.

I have read of one book and a few articles on the Nanking Massacre. I grew up listening to my grandma and other old folks' accounts of the atrocities of the Japanese Occupation for three years and eight months in Malaya. Throughout my adult life, every book I have access to on World War two I would definitely read. I have come to the conclusion that humans do not behave the same way during war time as compared to peaceful era. With my limited contact to Germans and Japanese, they do not seem more extreme than the White Rednecks I met in South Carolina, for instance. In fact, I quite like my husband's host family from Nagoya who came to visit the Penang island. My husband participated in an exchange program in Japan in his earlier years. While in Silver City, I car sat for a German lady for a total of eighteen months over a  three-year period. I find the Germans straight forward and reasonable to deal with.

While the ending of the above book was a little unexpected, it was all in a day's work. I have often found artists: whether designer, writer, sculptor, painter, ... a little difficult to predict. Probably my primary and secondary school friends would be shocked if I bury myself in Borneo in obscurity from now on. It is to be expected, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment