Tuesday, June 16, 2020

(1248) Message from departed pet

In the process of arranging the chapters of my second book, I played with the order until I could reasonably end with the last sentence. Both my editors suggested better or more logical arrangement. However, I refused because my mind was made up. Writing cat stories is one thing, being cast as a cat lover or owner is quite another. Two years later, looking back now, what does it matter? Should I finish my collection of chicken tales someday, would it matter if I am known as a chicken lover?

My husband and I turned up to show Prince's owner the cat book. She was the one who ignited my desire to publish a book containing Prince's stories. She asked a most innocuous question, "On what page is the first Prince story?" I glanced at the table of content and answered evenly,"55." She burst out in tears and explained that 5 was Prince's favourite number. It has been almost a year since the beloved cat passed on to the happy hunting ground. Whenever she looked at the tree at the corner of her garden, she still find tears in her eyes. It was, in her words, like "Prince came back in the book to tell me it is quite OK."

Immediately I thought of other writer's series of piled up co-incidences in their process of writing. At the next opportunity, I will borrow from my niece and read again Tan's "The Opposite of Fate".

No comments:

Post a Comment