Monday, June 15, 2020

(1234) Being green

As I listened to the sound of hair dryer in operation, I thought of two men.

One is a bright spark in Thailand. He is very careful of his carbon footprint. Hair dryer and air-conditioners are deemed non-essential. But his wife and daughters keep long hair. Without the use of a hairdryer, washing hair at night would not be easy.

 The other is my cousin. When he is at home, each member of the family and a hapless visitor like me  would have to turn off the fan as soon as we stand up to leave the room. Else we risk his ire and we would see a black face for a while. One January I saw the electric bill was $18.96. He need not pay that bill as the city council waived payment of any bill below $20.00. The following month the bill was even lower, $12.07, as the family was away for 7 days out of the preceding 30 days. I marvel at the low power usage of a house with four bedrooms, three baths, two air-conditioners, 4 adults living full time within! Unbelievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment