Monday, June 15, 2020

(1224)The lot of a chief tenant

It was a long time ago that thirteen female shared a medium-size fridge in a Senior's dormitory in Virginia.

I occupied a room on the top floor that faced the stairway. To avoid any petty conflicts, I normally kept any food in my room in sealed bags. Things that required chilling would be kept on the outer ledge of the wide window. Old buildings tend to have very long and wide ledges. Temperatures in late winter and early spring were as cool as the fridge anyway. Whenever the maid screamed and yelled, I was definitely not the source of her ire. You can bet that whatever teenage to working age girls do with the fridge which won't meet with the approval of their mothers. So I often ended up listening and sympathizing with the help.

Now it is almost as if I have travelled in the time machine. It is my friend bemoaning the antics of her six subtenants. This time I am roughly the age of that maid in 1983. After having housed a few young girls, I see things with a less rigid standard. Of course I am not saying the careless, thoughtless, and often a little self-centred girls are right. Mind you, these are girls in their mid-twenties. And some of them actually cook breakfasts and dinners daily. Whatever the reasons are, whether it is the purse or the waist-line, they took the trouble to cook for one individually. Whatever the misdemeanour, I see it as either you resolve it the soonest or choose to let it go. There is not much point to be irritated and fume over it, it simply is not worth letting such a little thing spoiling the day. Most people would grouse. So it is to be expected that any visitor would get an earful of complaints. Thank goodness I am not a landlady or a chief tenant.

No comments:

Post a Comment