Tuesday, June 16, 2020

(1244) Visiting wet market

Believe it or not, it has been three years since I visited a wet market. Where my permanent home is, the only wet market is miles away and parking is hard to get. For two and a half years I did my marketing in nearby supermarkets.

For the previous two days, I bought stuff from a very small but clean wet market. On the first day, I chose to buy vegetables from the first right hand stall, as I had to break a $100 bill. On the second day, I patronised the third left hand stall. Prices were indeed a little steep in this second stall. I paid 70 cents for each medium size onion. However I found service quick and pleasant. Those who served me were from a country far away. Language had to be hand signals to simple, easy to understand Malay words. There after, for speed I chose the more pricey stall. The first right hand stall also served restaurants and cafes who phoned in orders. Patrons who come in person have to queue for payment. On that first day I moved over to buy eggs and fish from other stalls after choosing and placing my vegetables in a colander provided. By the time I returned to the first stop, all the patrons were gone. Prices were good, I could see.

On subsequent days, I walked out very early, by hurrying with my few purchases, I managed to walk back home way before sunlight hit the streets. Sometimes a few dollars could be spent to buy a little time so that one need not sweat excessively nor even be sun burnt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment