Monday, June 15, 2020

(1233) Living in a borading house

It is interesting to be downstairs, cooking fish porridge as I observe the tenants who are getting ready to go out for the day. By the look of their attire, most of them are probably students with their backpacks.

Each girl is different in their morning routines. One boiled an entire kettle and brought it back to her room. Two collected cooled boiled water from the jug or dispenser. Two girls shared one bathroom upstairs. Each of them paid more than the others who shared the one downstairs. For a house with seven rooms, three bathrooms seem inadequate. But they know each other's routine and the downstairs bathroom usage worked like a choreographed dance of ballet.

I realise by looking at them, I was extremely fortunate that I have full room and board during my college days. For the interim between graduation and marriage, I was back with my family. Hence this studying or working from a rooming house is new to me. I guess my youngest is very blessed that she roomed with a wonderful family near the train station a stop from University. She was there for 5 years for her Bachelor's and Master's degrees. Now she is back at home within walking distance from a newly minted train station on another line. Thus she too was spared from a boarding house experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment