Monday, June 15, 2020

(1240) A thing of beauty

Looking at me, no one would suspect that I love beauty in odd things. The only item in my home that I want to transfer to Borneo someday is a round slab of black marble. Talking about marble, most marble tables are white and green where I come from. We do see black marble with glittering bits in major banks and exclusive hotels. Once my husband and I admired yellow marble in Danang, Vietnam on a flying visit.

Many years ago, an old friend bought the present marble slab for five thousand ringgit. I used to frequent her house to talk, to eat and to hang out as fellow homemakers. When she needed cash, one of her brothers offered $200 for the table. Another sibling offered to take it off her hands for free as the former figured she had to pay for transportation to haul the slab and the heavy stand from one house to the other. There I was, day in and day out I walked past it, touched it with wonder and looked at it with admiration. I actually thought black marble is much more beautiful than the traditionally white marble table tops. When the owner of the marble table finally moved out to one room, she gave the table to me because I love and thought it exotic.

I keep it because I like to look at it and touch its cool surface. Nature produced such pleasant looking things that the best inventors could not counterfeit in completeness. Of course I am aware of its financial value as a second hand item. I would have treasured such a thing of beauty even if it is not worth a cent on e-bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment