Monday, June 15, 2020

(1227) Fishes

I was sitting outside watching my friend emptying muddy water and removing fishes from one container to another. While all the tenants enjoy the sight of the water plants and flowers, there is actually much maintenance work involved.

She kept two bottom feeders in each big receptacle, she calls them "Bandaraya" (Malay word for city council refuse removal). Then about two pairs of ordinary hardy fish we called drain fish. That way the fishes would eat up the ever present mosquito larvae. It is then a necessity to have a lot of floating plants to hide the fishes from king fishers. I remember my Silver City neighbour who took the trouble to net up her ornamental pond for the protection of fishes from birds. Another neighbour spent thousands to buy fishes that are too big for birds to catch.

While I enjoy observing cats, my friend loves flowers and beautifully shaped leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment