Monday, January 27, 2020

(1213) The Cost of Writing

It is interesting that the threat of death took away all my fears. In surviving, after spending much in medical cost, I need an alternate source of income. I am very blessed that my husband is my publisher. My eldest child is my editor and my youngest child is my proof-reader. Something like a family enterprise. Now that I am a published author, the next logical step is to give talks.

Now, if you are thinking of writing and publishing books, there are habits you have to pick up:

1. writing daily
2. my writing professor gave me the advice of reading good books, she separated her thumb and her index finger to be 2-3 inches apart and said keep reading weekly.
3. open your mind to life long learning - you must keep picking up new facts, new thoughts and new things to write about.
4. join a public library nearby and visit it fortnightly
5. love languages, be intoxicated with words, be accepting to new ideas
6. surround yourself with word smiths: language teachers, reporters, lawyers, writers, editors, people in advertising, people in public relations, bloggers,...
7. develop perseverance. If you want to be picked by a publishing house, you have to be able handle rejections, possibly years of it. Real gold is refined by fire. Real talents would last and perhaps win out ultimately against adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment