Wednesday, January 8, 2020

(1196) Imaginery friend?

An old friend called. An hour of update later, she asked how I have been. Then what I was doing.

Out of the six months or so here, I spent almost three teaching a 16 year old how to read in English.
It was a case of a learning disabled child being beaten repeatedly through the early years, he completely shut down as far as learning. Tracking his word recognition and understanding, I recorded 426 words within one month.

For 20 working days in December, my son and I assumed care for a brother and sister duo. The brother is 13 and will be in Form 2 in 2020. The sister is 9 and will be in Standard 4 next year.

The brother had autistic symptoms for years. He overcome most of his problems in Standard 6 and Form 1. Looking at his passing grades in Form 1 final exam, he seemed out of the wood.

The sister, however, is a problem. She refused to learn anything but English. At home, she has a room full of Pokemon soft toys. For 11 months a year, she lives with her mom a few hundred miles away from her dad. Here, she is spending a month in her dad's company apartment. I am well used to children playing finger puppets or role playing with soft toys. However, the way she talks to her soft toys is like she is carrying a one way conversation with an imaginary friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment