Thursday, January 23, 2020

(1204)Handmade mouse mama.

Looking at a book teaching mothers how to hand sew soft toys, I thought of one particular toy.

Until today, I haven't seen it. However, I have a detail description of it from my auntie. It is a cloth-made mama mouse. There is a hat matching the country cottage long dress. The mama mouse was holding a cloth basket made of cherry motive cloth trimmed with lace. Without using a ruler, I think from the hat to the hem of the dress is about ten inches. The overall colour scheme is pastel.

About six months after the birth of my last child, I lost the ability to walk. My toddler was sent to my parents' in laws, my baby was cared for by a day nanny who came to my house. My cousin who grew up in my parent's house (before I left for further studies and get married) bought and gave the above described toy to my toddler.

This is probably 26 years later. Yesterday I repaired a teddy bear shredded by a rather "violent" washing machine. The teddy was a Christmas present given by the church to my son (a Sunday School pupil) many years ago. My youngest was given a duck. The two duly exchanged their gifts. After all, the toy duck wore no clothes (therefore gender neutral) but the bear wore a sailor dress. Yes, that many years ago, even children under the age of 9 knew instinctively about such things.

I heard about the toy when my auntie was thinking of buying something like that for her first grand daughter. Interestingly my cousin the purchaser had forgotten all about the toy mouse. My uncle, however, gave my auntie an earful for contemplating to fritter away hard earned cash. He thought it would be ridiculous to spend $100 for such a toy. On the other hand, my mum firmly believed that a limited edition hand made soft toy would sell above $200.
*............



*

No comments:

Post a Comment