Wednesday, October 2, 2019

(1167) Reaching to help one child

I still remember how a church kindergarten teacher passed her group of six tuition children to my son in the beginning of September, 2013.

Among the six, there was a 11-year-old boy who was afraid of drum beats from lion dance. Looking at his white face, sweating palms and drops of cold sweat whenever there was a practice of  lion dance troupe within audio range.

This boy was suicidal. He viewed his life as grey, there was seemingly no hope in sight. Over a period of six months or so, I tried everything I knew or dreamed up with him. Nothing seemed to work. While he was in depression, I was in despair.

By chance, I sat next to an old lady who happened to be the prayer warrior in church over lunch. She politely enquired about our tuition students, out came my doomed and gloomed reply. She told me how I should have structured prayer time and spend at least two hours in prayer every morning before breakfast. On hearing my protest that I could not sustained continuous prayer more than half an hour, she suggested I pray in tongues. What if I fall asleep while praying? She suggested a bed time of 8pm and wake up at 5am. She said that it does not take the brain to pray in tongues, I could be reading an interesting book while praying continually.

That I did, for slightly more than one year. I must confess that while I was praying, I saw no result whatsoever. It was after I left Borneo, stopped praying that my son gradually told me the boy's sudden improvements by leaps and bounds over a 2 year period.

No comments:

Post a Comment