Friday, November 9, 2018

(1023) In the Courtyard of the Sun by Wong Ming Yook

I read the book a few months ago. At that point of time I had no internet access. Now that I am holding the yellow covered book in hand, all I could remember is story number 13, the second last story.

The Daytime CafĂ© of Love - that is the only story I like enough to place a pencil mark against the margin on the content page. Assuming anyone that looked for this review on line has read it recently, I'm going to take it that you've bought the book. I am neither homophobic nor gay. During my few years of sojourn in USA, I've met and befriended quite a few gay men. They happened to be wonderful people, very warm, friendly and caring to an Asian wraith that I was then. Many a time through their kindness, I found places to stay and temporary or part-time jobs to tide me till term time.

Now that I have been married for thirty over years and living in the suburb of a metropolitan city, the only gay man I see off and on is my mix rice seller. He is in his forties, his partner is the cook. They are part of the restaurant team in my neighbourhood for well, at least twelve years. Last week he took a look at my selection: big auntie's daughter ties the knot*, onion fried egg and kai lan stir fry barbecue pork, he commented that my youngest daughter and I could make two meals out of it. I murmured that my eldest son is back, I'd be lucky to feed the three of us for lunch; at the back of my mind I was planning a quick tomyam soup of mushrooms to go with that and rice. I was surprised that he remembered my son. The latter have been away for pre-u, university, and has been in Sabah for three years. He gave me a convincing description of my son. Well, apart from his polished salesmanship, just maybe he is rather observant, got a good memory and is interested in his customers. My regard for him grew a fair bit.

* it is a common and low cost dish made of vegetable melon (mo kua) sliced, cooked with small dried shrimp, sometimes cellophane noodle is added. I call the subject of the piece Handsome. His partner's version added minced pork and egg drop. During my mum's youth, a poor family who cooks the daughter's nuptial meal would inevitable include this rather ordinary dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment