Friday, November 23, 2018

(1030) The Overcoming Tribe

After twelve years of rubbing shoulders with children with differing abilities in Silver City, I asked God where the adults are.

This is the thirteenth year I am working as a listener to women who formerly had learning differences. All in, I have spent almost twenty five years of my adult life working in my area of passion. Looking back, the very first person I listened to in Silver City was probably one of the group. She was very accomplished both academically and professionally. But when it came to human relationships, whether among friends, neighbours or relatives; she was rather clueless. Each of us may be given a certain number of marbles, it is up to each of us to decide where to place the marbles. She happened to diligently placed hers in furthering her financial future.

After the door to education and remedial help was firmly closed, I met two individuals: one who was troubled by her financial troubles and another by her marital woes. Let us call the first Veron and the latter Zoe. At different times, they were either depressed or suicidal. Today, they are both doing well. Veron is starting a Masters degree with an eye to start a women's shelter. Zoe is reconciled with her husband  and reconnected with her children.

Contrasting Veron and Zoe, Zoe is obviously troubled by some form of learning disorder in her childhood. Zoe must have overcome all her differences early in life. Yet both carried the same type of hurt and to a certain extent, left-over anger. Zoe still has a few easily identifiable symptoms, Veron is articulate, successful in everything she touched until her business bankruptcy. Zoe is receptive and easily receives healing from the gentle holy spirit. Veron thinks everyone works with some form of lack and it is no big deal, one should not look back, not even one little peek. But sometimes one has to look back for a limited time in order to clear the way for the future. And so year in year out, I see Zoe improving slowly and steadily, Veron struggle mightily with fear of height and confine places, now progressing and there retreating.

Veron has moved out of my area. I talk to her now and then. I realize I am a rainy day helper. I wish her well. Her sister became my friend, therefor I am still up to date with important developments in Veron's life.

Zoe lives more or less with her restored family in Thailand. She still owns a house in my neighbourhood. Once in a blue moon I meet and catch up with her.

I am currently working with two single mothers. One just downsized from a complete house to one room in her married daughter's house. She started caring for her grandchildren. The other has two dependent children. Life goes on. One does not retire in God's community, no matter how old one becomes, one can still pray. And so one labours on, with much love from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment