Friday, November 23, 2018

(1035) Atmosphere in a meeting

My son has this theory: if there are three strong will women together in any room, electric sparks fly and he will flee.

I had fun recalling my care group of old. In those days, Auntie Molly and Linda were like cat and dog. Now Auntie Molly is too old to drive out at night, she started attending a day group. Linda passed away three months ago. Well, the group displays a totally different dynamics now.

Ever since old uncle Tom resigned, the organisation I used to volunteer in has had three lady Executive Directors. Of course I have been away for nearly three years in north-eastern Borneo. Then I was in the hospital for a few months. Since then I have visited off and on but did not want to repeat my visit too often. Today I finally figured out why, in the words of Fred: there were too many women. Now I am not saying I don't like women, after all I am one. But sometimes you put certain women in the same room, I would suffer in silence for that occasion only and later vote with my feet: I would not return until I forget about those uncomfortable moments.

That also explains why I shy away from any lady's meeting, whether it was in Silver City or in my present church. In Silver City I was in my thirties, most of the office bearers were in their fifties. Here in my present church there is little structure or hardly any program. Interestingly I have been attending a Brethren church ladies' group of late, different denomination but I found it well organised and interesting. When there are a lot of women together, a strong leader is required. Else a sensitive bystander would feel under currents and be totally out of place.

No comments:

Post a Comment