Thursday, May 31, 2012

(962) A Slap

Many years ago, I was visiting some cousins in the next country. We were sitting in the kitchen having dinner when my eldest cousin walked in. He deliberately walked right up to the second eldest girl and asked,"What did you think you were doing just now?"

She answered,"Just having tea with my colleague after work!"

He raised his arm and gave her a tight slap. It took her by surprise, I could see the red marks of five fingers. He said to nobody in particular,"That was a married man who would swallow little girls. Unless you are not my sister, I will really give you a sound beating if you dare to sit with him alone at a table again." Then he walked off while the stricken girl started weeping.

At that time she was freshly out of school, probably not even seventeen years old. After a painful and humiliating slap, she must have watched her steps carefully. Today she is happily married to a fine husband with children.

Normally that is the duty of the father. But in this case, the eldest male sibling acted fast to prevent any further entanglement and heart ache.

No comments:

Post a Comment