Tuesday, May 1, 2012

(928) Books that changed my life

When I was troubled as a foreign student, I used to go to the foyer of the little campus chapel and hid in a corner to read Peter Marshall's Prayers. At that point, I was still a free thinker.

After I graduated, I left campus and worked in another state. Every book store I visited, I tried to look for the book I come to count on soothing any inner turmoil. I did not find it, however hard I looked. One day, a friend of mine asked what I was looking for. While I was answering her, her friend who happened to be in the shop heard and within the same day, brought me Mr. Jones, meet the Master. This second book, edited by Catherine Marshall, played a crucial part in convicting me that God is real and that he is interested in me. Based on this personal conviction, I decided to follow the Master and pledged to serve him the rest of my mortal life. Instead of staying on in the States and take up a generous scholarship offer to pursue a Masters degree in The State University of Texas, I came home when I heard God's call to return.

Many years later, I read A Man Called Peter written by C. Marshall. Then I finally realized how one minister whose life was cut short was the source of a worldwide ministry via books and a movie. The last few days I held To Live Again in my hands, also by C. Marshall. Interestingly I could not remember if I have read it before until the third last chapter. I probably did, about fifteen years ago, when I had access to a church library in the vicinity then (not the one I normally attend), through using my friend's membership cards.

When I take a helicopter view of what I just said above, I realize the medium of print is more enduring than a sermon preached in person. Peter Marshall was an outstanding preacher, but there is a physical limitation to how many people could listen to his sermon in his church. But when his sermons are published, then the limitation of time, place and circumstances fall away. The book of sermons given to me was old, dog eared and almost falling apart. But it served its purpose of speaking to me.

Now I am accessing a medium of communication much more powerful than print. To date, I recorded at least one person each from 57 countries reading at least one page of this blog. Anything I blog and not deleted is available 24 hours, 7 days a week absolutely free of charge to anybody with internet access. I thank God that I am here in this age having such a channel of communication. I hope what I wrote will be of help and be an encouragement to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment