Saturday, May 12, 2012

(937) Girl in the mirror by Cecelia Ahern

Elizabeth came into my room with a slim light blue volume. She borrowed it from her main library and insisted I read it before she returned to university.

After I read the two short stories, she asked me if I like it. Well, it was unusual to read a fairy tale bordered on the dark side from Ahern!  I tend to think of her as a female writer that wrote fluffy and entertaining stories that explored interesting topics.

I am surprised that Ahern departed from her genre and experiment with something new. While I have to admit that it is refreshing to read something unexpected, I can't really say I like it. To think that a loving couple is broken up by the mere action of vanity: looking into and touching a magic mirror one has been banned from using since early childhood! A blind woman had to sacrifice a foreign painter with no family in the country to get her grand daughter back into the living world. I know it is fiction, yet it is not pleasant!

Even though I like Cecelia Ahern's work in general, this is one book I do not want to own.

2 comments:

  1. I think that if Cecelia focused her efforts on the first short story and extended it into a full blown book, she would've done a much better job at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I am sorry I cannot agree nor disagree with what you said until I track down the book and see which is the first short story. Next time I would list all short stories' names to act as memory aid in case I get another interesting comment like yours.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete