Wednesday, May 16, 2012

(943) Lightning and thunder

There is an airport near to where I live. For as long as I have been staying here, there have been lots of thunder and lightning during rain storms. Recently I heard that it was the taking off and landing of air planes that caused the unusual high number and severity of thunder and lightning.

One school boy played basketball in his school and it started raining. He decided to walk home any way. While he was crossing a high field, he was struck down and died on the spot. About eighteen months ago, another boy chose to shelter under a zinc roof building built under a tree. He died by a direct hit while two of his friends were badly injured.

Elizabeth asked me what would I have done? In the first place I am not a basketball enthusiast. Secondly I would either leave before the sky becomes dark or shelter in the school until the rain is over. For nine years I took public buses to get home from school, there must have been many times it rained cats and dogs around the time I needed to go home. Interestingly there had not been a single incident of lightning death of any student  while I was a youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment