Friday, May 18, 2012

(949) Pop Concert


A few years back, my daughter's best friend was immigrating to Canada. Both families got together and had a Bon voyage meal.

During the dinner, Mr. Raj asked if I know why his daughter stopped attending my church. While his wife was trying to change the topic, he over ruled by saying he must clear the air before leaving. So everyone quieted down to listen to him. Apparently quite a few churches in the vicinity of my suburbs were well known for scantily clad teens. School boys would compare notes and attend these churches to catch those would be models.

I can't say that I did not notice that trend. It was a big change coming from the fourth largest town to the nation's capital. But I put it to myself as this is the Hollywood generation. While I teach my daughters to dress modestly, to mix around with those who dress decently, I hardly think twice about how short the mini skirts were. After all, I was young and fashionable once, the only difference is I met God after my graduation from university.

Mr. Raj put it like this, a church that tolerates scantily clad teens during worship service will soon have young mothers who dress like GROs (Guests Relation Officers). Soon even the middle age matrons would dress like Desperate Housewives. He said that this is a topic that rouses lots of dissent and he was shot by many church pastors as prudes and being provincial. But the fact remains that it is clearly against God's word for female parishioners to dress like that during Sunday worship.

The Raj family had left for about five years  now. What he predicted has come to pass in my church. Every Christmas means cocktail gowns for young ladies who showed half their bosoms. Lately I lost count of the cleavages shown by teenagers, young mothers and not so young leaders' wives. I guess one gets immune to things like that.

It took a visitor to point out to me that the worship leader was dressed inappropriately Then I really opened my eyes and looked.  Yeah, it looks more like a pop concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment