Sunday, December 30, 2012

(191) Recycling books

In my recycling of books, I have had two requests. A missionary translator from North America (working in South East Asia) asked me to keep a look out for any reading materials written by Mercer Mayer. It does not matter how old or tattered it is, he wants them. But until today, I have not seen a single one in book stores, second hand book shops or in the piles of books that friends gave to me.

Many years ago, I was working in Texas as a young adult. A co-worker mentioned the blue cheese moon and I was incredulous. Until then I have not heard about Dr. Seuss. Another kind person actually went home and hunted for a Dr. Seuss book to show me. In The Watchers, on page 268, quite a few children's authors were listed: Dr. Seuss, Maurice Sendak, Phil Parks, Susi Bohdal, Sue Dreamer, and Mercer Mayer.

So now I have an idea that Mercer Mayer is or was among the top few children authors that anyone well read cares to name. Another book lover asked me to look out for books by Alexandra McCall Smith. I found one, she gladly took it but asked me to continue to look out for the Lady Detective series.


No comments:

Post a Comment