Sunday, December 23, 2012

(184) The Codex by Douglas Preston

An entire batch of books came from my brother. These were meant for my children. But as things turned out, I would be reading them first.

Whether Preston meant to or not, his book could be bought and given to people who are either enemies or strangers to their siblings. Perhaps if such recipients were to read this book, some of them may contemplate that blood is indeed thicker than water.

I learned quite a few new obscure facts from this book that was set in the US and then Honduras. The book was written to entertain and inform the readers about the Amazon basin and the foothills of the Andes. I have enjoyed a good description of the Cloud forest, hills that experience cool weather and yet receive lots of rainfall which translate into passing clouds that obscure visibility.

Not that I have ever bought any novels as Christmas presents, if my readers are in the habit of choosing books as Christmas or birthday gifts, this would be a good one (especially for those who like adventure, geography, family dynamics, happy endings ...).

No comments:

Post a Comment